History of the 8th
The 8th Hornchurch Scout Group was registered on the 16th June 1936. They met in a large wooden hut known as the Barn in the Dell.
At this time there was another other local Scout Group, the 3rd Hornchurch. The 3rd registered on 29th June 1931 and met in the Kenilworth mission hall under the sponsorship of St. Andrews Church. On 14th November 1935 a priest was appointed to Kenilworth Hall and it officially became a church. At the same time the 3rd re-registered as the 2nd Hornchurch.
Later another Scout Group formed as The 5th Hornchurch and were registered on 15th May 1947 calling themselves the St. Andrews Group. They met in the old church hall known as the Old Boys School Room, opposite the church. Although the three groups acted independently of each other they did come together for various activities, one which is remembered, was a District Camp in 1957 in Harrow Lodge Park to celebrate 50 years of Scouting
In November of the following year The Barn in the Dell was destroyed by fire. The 5th Hornchurch offered the opportunity to join them and meet together, until new accommodation for the 8th could be found.
Early in 1960 it was proposed to disband both the 5th and the 8th and to reform as one Group. In an effort to retain the identity of both groups it was suggested the new Group should be the 8th St. Andrews Scout Group and to use a combined scarf consisting of the blue and white scarf of the old 5th with a grey square and bulls head at the point; grey was the colour of the old 8th.
It is interesting to note from the minutes of a Scouters meeting at that time that enquiries had been made to obtain costs for the new badge (the grey square with the bulls head). First response was three shillings and six pence (seventeen and a half pence) each. This it was noted, was considered rather expensive.
The scarf is often commented upon when participating with other groups. It is unique in two ways, first being the only one known at present to Scouting to carry the additional badge representing another Group. Then there is the history of the Bulls Head on St. Andrews Church. Local history books say it is thought to represent the trade mark of the leather and tanning industry which many years ago was the main source of local employment and for which the area was well known.
Picture of the Bulls head on
the backof St Andrews
Bulls head on the back of
our Group Scarf.